Cyprus Tax Facts
Advantages Of Cypriot Companies
- Corporation Tax on net profits is only 12,5%.
- Dividend income is tax exempt.
- Profits realised on disposal of securities/shares in subsidiaries, bonds, derivatives, stocks etc., are not subject to taxation in Cyprus. This applies to all gains including capital gains and gains from trading in securities.
- A Notional Interest Deduction (NID) is allowed on paid, newly introduced capital.
- Being part of the European Union (EU) jurisdiction.
- Having a wide network of double tax treaties providing zero or low withholding tax rates on interest, dividends and royalties.
- No withholding tax on dividend, interest and royalties paid to non-resident individuals, and corporations.
- Interest paid to non-resident group companies is tax deductible.
- Intellectual Property (IP) including copyrights, patented inventions and trademarks have an exemption of 80% of the overall profit derived from the qualifying intangible asset; the following rule applies for intellectual property assets developed after 30th June 2016.
- There are no general transfer pricing rules but transactions between related parties should be at “arm’s length”.
- Losses offset against other sources of income, are carried forward for five years and can be set off against profits of another company of the same group (Group of Cyprus tax-resident companies).
- Capital gains are not taxable in Cyprus except for the 20 % tax on gains on immovable property located in Cyprus.
Advantages For Cyprus Tax Resident Individuals
For salaries, benefits of employment and the director’s remuneration, the main advantages are:
a) The first €19.500 is taxed at 0%, see the table below:
up to €19 500 0%
€19 501 – €28 000 20%
€28 001 – €36 300 25%
€36 301 – €60 000 30%
i) 20% of the remuneration from any office or employment exercised in Cyprus by an individual who was a resident outside Cyprus before the commencement of their employment, or €8.543, whichever is lower. This exemption applies for a period of five years.
ii) 50% of the earnings of non-resident individuals taking up employment in Cyprus and earning over €100.000 will be exempt from tax for 10 years.
Contributions to Cypriot us approved charities are deductible with no limits.
Special Defence Contribution (SDC) (Withholding Tax)
a) For resident and non-domiciled individuals, no withholding taxes apply
b) For residents and domiciled individuals:
On dividends: 17%
On investment interest: 30%
If SDC applies, then no income tax is payable.
3. Taxes withheld abroad can be credited against corresponding Cypriot tax.
4. Social Insurance Contributions
Total employee’s contribution is 8,3%.
5. Gains on disposal of shares/titles are not subject to tax.
6. Overseas Pensions
The income of an individual who is a resident in Cyprus from a pension for services outside Cyprus is subject to tax at 5% if it exceeds €3.417.